WELCOME TO HICKORY HOUSE
While we were working on WORKSHOP8’s LOOK BACK series, Brandy came across an episode of World’s Greenest Homes on HGTV that she, Joseph and their home, Hickory House, were featured in. The episode is filled with 4 other environmentally friendly homes. Click the photo below to watch the episode!
Hickory House is considered a Green Home for many reasons. It is slightly less than 3,000 square feet (which means it is less space to cool or heat), and to insulate those 2,900 square feet Brandy and Joseph used recycled cotton insulation. Here are a few other things that make this house a green home:
- Passive solar design and thermal chimney
- Sustainably harvested lumber and ACQ greenboard
- Engineered wood used in structural framing
- Low solvent construction adhesives
- Concrete floors sealed and no flooring materials installed
- No construction dumpster used; all applicable construction waste recycled
- Natural linoleum with wheatsheet underlayment used for countertops
- Dimmer switches and compact fluorescent lighting
- Canadian Blue Fescue lawn and xeriscape plants with a drip irrigation system
- PV System
Hickory House was also featured in a Dwell article in 2009. Read it here!
MOM AND POP BUSINESS DAY
Monday, March 29th, is Mom and Pop Business Day! Our Mom and Pop, Brandy and Joseph, have been running WORKSHOP8 for 20 years now. Boulder is home to many Mom and Pop shops and here is a link on how to support us and many other small businesses in your community.
Thanks for reading!
Sydney Angel | Architectural Designer
28 MARCH 2021